Sunday, July 15, 2012

When the Drakes Fell Apart

This is what I thought I knew about my line of the Drakes.  We stick together.  We don't move away from each other.  We always married into the Stouts.  We name our children after our favorite relatives.  That's why there are so many Johns, Amoses and Williams.  We don't leave our children.  It is not uncommon to see whole pages of the Federal Census filled with Drakes -- side by side.

I've been trying to figure out what happened to the John Stout Drake and Lucia Cahoon kids.  Allison Royse Drake turned out to be a mean drunk, but hopefully I'll be able to shine a little light on that later.  I am pretty convinced that Sidney S Drake, moved to Arkansas where he met and married Sarrah Staggs.  There is a Sidney S  Drake living in Atkins, Pope, Arkansas who was born in Michigan.  His father was born in New York.  Unfortunately, 1910 Federal Census says that his mother was born in New York as well -- which isn't the case for my Sidney S Drake.  His mother -- Lucia Cahoon was born in Plymouth, Wayne, New York.  Of course, if it was his wife giving the info to the census taker, she might not have known and just assumed.  If this Sidney S Drake, is my Sidney S Drake, he had one child -- a daughter named Lucredia.

Now there is Emery Eugene Drake -- or it could possible be Eugene Emery Drake -- I've seen it both ways.   I have found him in Family Search marriage license.  In 1884 he was living in Travis City.  On October 28, 1884, he married Jennie O'Connell.  He was 42 years old.  His dad, John Stout Drake, died May of 1884.  I wonder if Emery moved before or after.

I also wonder if these kids were all trying to escape John Stout Drake or had travel and communications just made it easier to get up and go?  I sure wish I could find information regarding John Stout Drake's character.

I have signed up to take a class on genealogy through social networking.  It is on August 4 at the main branch of the public library.    


No comments:

Post a Comment