Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Illda Martha Hughes -- Where Did You Go?

So Dennis E Austin died 02 Aug 1912.  I don't know if it was as bad for Illda and Minnie as it was for a lot of other women, because Minnie ALWAYS worked -- either for milliners or had her own shop.  But still -- something happened.  And I don't think it was a happy something either.  I still haven't worked out all the kinks yet -- and this will later be divulged in a generic genealogy tip -- but let us say that by hook or by crook Illda Martha Austin and her mom, Minnie, ended up in Denver, Colorado.

I have several letters from Illda to her grandmother, Elizabeth "Libbie" Moore Austin, and it was through one of these that I finally figured out what Daniels family I'm part of.  Illda mentions that her Aunt Addie had been to Denver.  I actually remember Illda talking about her Aunt Addie.  I knew that Minnie had been born in Michigan.  So I started looking for all the Daniels in Michigan in the United States Census 1870 and 1880.  There was only one family that had a Minnie AND an Addie that were the correct ages.  Years later I found that I was on the right track.

Minnie Daniels Austin died in Denver, Colorado.  I think that Illda was probably around 16 or 17 years old. She spent several weeks getting her traveling suit ready and a new set of teeth.  I know she went to nursing school and worked as a nurse. On the FamilySearch.org website, I found a wedding license for Cleo Mallison Hughes and Illda Martha Austin that said they were married on 28 Nov 1920.  Here's the fun stuff: in 1920 Cleo Mallison Hughes claims to be 21 years old.  On that same document, Illda Martha Austin claims to be 22 years old.  Now, let's do a little math:  Cleo was born in 1903.  So in 1920, he would have been 17 NOT 21 a difference of 4 years.  Illda was born in 1895.  In 1920 she would have been 25.  My grandma was a good person and a hard worker.  But, if my son would have ever brought home a bride 8 years his senior, the SH*T would have hit the fan.

A couple of things that still confuse me:

* I'm pretty sure they were married in March.  At least that's when they celebrated it.  Illda Martha Austin and Cleo Mallison Hughes were both born and March -- or course I could be confused.
*  I found a document on Ancestry.com  -- a directory entry from 1921 that has Illda as Illda Martha Austin, nurse, employed at Nichols Memorial Hospital.

In another directory from 1922, I found Illda and Cleo Hughes living at 13 Roseneath Avenue in Battle Creek Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment