Monday, July 23, 2012

Illda Martha Austin Hughes -- The Quiet Ones are Usually Trouble!

Here's another picture that I posted over on Ancestry.  I think Illda was about 3 years old which would put this around 1898. There is no identifying marks, but I know that face like I know my own kids.

When Illda was living with me, I asked her where she got the name Illda from.  She told me that her mother named her after a heroine in a Russian novel.  Part of the problem with her name is that I've seen it spelled:  Illda, Ilda, Illdah, Hilda, Hildah -- and some of these mistakes were made by people in her own family!

I asked her about school and all, and she said she went to school for one day and it was so traumatizing that her mom didn't make her go back.

What I know about Illda:

*  She first shows up in 1900.  Darling daughter to Dennis E Austin and Minnie M Drake.  I have seen a few things where Minnie's middle name is Martha.  Which would make sense because Illda's middle name is Martha -- and so is mine.  Illda was born in March of 1895, making her 5 years old in June 1900, when the 1900 United States Census was taken.  (Pay attention to the dates here.  You'll see about them later.)  Illda Austin was living with her parents at 743 East Marietta, in Decatur, Macon, Illinois.  She was born in Toledo.  Minnie Daniels Austin was a milliner and Dennis E Austin worked for the Railroad and I think because of the railroad, they moved around quite a bit.  


* By the 1910 United States Federal Census, Illda Austin and parents had moved to Houston Heights, Texas.  Minnie Daniels Austin is once again listed as a milliner and Dennis E Austins occupation was a decorator/painter/paper hanger.  Illda Austin does not have an occupation listed.  However, she is 15 years old.


*  A telephone directory from 1911 has the entire Austin Family listed at 601 W 17th Street, still in Houston Heights.  I am lucky enough to have quite a few letters from Dennis and Minnie as well as Illda back to their families in Michigan.  Miss Illda Austin is not listed with her parents in the directory, but on her own.  It also says that she was a milliner and worked for the milliner Mrs. Minnie D. Austin.  

*  Dennis Austin died on 02 Aug 1912 in Houston Heights, Texas.  And things kind of went to hell in a hand basket for Illda Austin and her mama, Minnie.  Which is where we'll pick up tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment