Monday, July 16, 2012

The Children of John Stout Drake and Lucia Cahoon

As I continue to work the family group sheet for John Stout Drake and Lucia Cahoon, I find myself in a rush to get down every thing I'm working on as well as all the questions.

So I was researching Jane Drake.  Not a lot of information out there.  But I know, that her ancestors think that she was THE most important of all the John Stout Drake and Lucia Cahoon's children.  Personally, I thought she died young. According to what I could find out about her -- and remember that this isn't documented yet so I can't officially insert it into my family tree -- she was born in Hillsdale, Michigan on 23 Apr 1861.  I also found information that says her name was Jane Carel Drake and she went by Jennie.  Well hot diggity dog.

One of the questions I've been carrying around was this:  In the 1880 United States Federal Census, I have found Allison Royse Drake listed under John Sprawls in Hillsdale, Michigan.  In regards to his relationship with the head of the house, John Sprawls, it is said "servant."  Also listed in that household is Jennie C. Drake who is also listed as servant.  Up until now, I had no idea what their relationship with each other was. And now I believe that they are brother and sister.

On some of the public family trees on Ancestry.com, it is said that she married George Priestly and had three (all unnamed) children.  And I've found one tree that says there is a daughter named Kate.  There is a good chance that this could be true, as Jen's brother, Bird A Drake, married Eugenia Priestly.  Now I have to dig around and see if they were brother and sister as well.

There is also an individual on Ancestry involved with the Hoag family line that feels like a kindred spirit.  It's a hunch, but I thing it is a cousin that comes down John Stout Drake and Lucia Cahoon, to Allison Royse Drake to Hattie Gavena Drake who was my grandfather Don Dee Drake's sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment