Friday, March 1, 2013

Dennis E Austin

Still working on my great grandfather, Dennis E Austin.  When I first started doing family tree research, all I basically had was my grandmother's name Illda Martha Austin  and a large envelop full of letters.  It was the letters and the little bits I gleaned from them that sent me on my way.  When I was trying to figure out which Dennis Austin was mine, this letter was the one that determined it.  Claudie is Dennis younger brother.  Just a brief mention, but it's there.  Again, I transcribed the letter myself and didn't correct any spelling or punctuation.  I did break it into paragraphs for easier reading.



11 am Sunday June 19-10

My Dear Parents:
We rec’d your Dear letter + was so glad to hear you were both well.  I am sorry you are feeling so blue though Mother. And for your own sakes you should try and throw it off.  For don’t you know anytime you can’t live in old Mich in comfort – you still have a home and care coming in the only Houston Tex.  Now please don’t forget that while I live you will always find me ready to make this good too. 

I expect to buy two more lots soon + if on any of the 6 vacant lots you would like to have a garden the whole year round with a cow and chickens + fruit why I guess we could find a chance to put up a nice cozy 4 room + bath cottage + you won’t need to have the blues at all for I am by myself I could make a painter out of Father I know.  With your chickens eggs + milk @ 10 cents per quart + garden I don’t believe you would ever feel but what you had plenty.  I can’t imagine what the matter can be up there for I feel that Claudie should be all that three boys would be to you located right next door as it seems to me when I feel how far away I am.  I am going to write him today although he has not answered my last letter + I don’t want to wait any longer.  I shall take it myself to talk to him just as an older Bro has a right for I know that he little appreciates the natural responsibility that is his + would be mine were I located so near you.

I have never asked you nor have you told me our your deal in the place where he lives + I cannot think he would do anything but right by you, and if it is anything of this nature you must tell me + If I cannot advise I can at least have the chance to help you.   I wish so much I could have a good visit + help you to see the bright side.  I am glad to say that I don’t have the sour stomach I used to have.  I think the climate + being busy all the time that I just work, eat + sleep + don’t think @ all.  I have been rushed some for the last two weeks, but tomorrow I put on another man + get caught up a little.   There is lots of work in sight + now that I am by myself = free to look after it I can make much more than I could with a partner.

I got up this am @ 5 + done my garden work befor the sun got up.  I tore out root and branch 8 hills of cucumbers that were bearing fine.  I bet there was a wash tub full of all sizes on them but I had to take them in ten armfuls + put them around the peach plum + fig trees in the chicken yard, then I took the sickle and went after the tomato vines + I pruned them sure so a little more sun could get in.  I have 8 tree tomatoes that stand up nice + the fruit has a chance to ripen.  All I have to do is drive a stake + tie the stalk to it.

I wish you could come to dinner today.  Roast veal new potatoes green corn sliced tomatoes sliced onions + cucumbers.  Ice tea.  But no pie or cake.

Now I happen to think when is that note due + do you want it renewed with int at 8 per.   Write and let me know in your next letter more about your business affairs  + also if your int with what you raise on the little place keep you.  I don’t know but it seems to me that when I see men with no business ability with the price of $200 lot with a $600 cottage on it + sell the whole thing for from $1500 to $1800 that there are better things than digging.  That’s why I am t???g into lots any time some one wants that particular location.  I will finish paying for them in a lump sum + negotiate a loan with the lumber Co + double my money + get 8 per cent on the bal of purchase price even if one has to hold the lots the int + taxes are not ¼ of what the regular rise in price is.  When $1 a foot is tacked on to them regularly twice a year helps some.  Well I have written a whole lot + said nothing + I must save a little room for the women folks so I will say good bye – try to cheer up.  With best love + kisses to you both I am always your Dennis

No comments:

Post a Comment