Saturday, February 23, 2013

Dennis E Austin Again

So I've been working on family a little closer on the time line than John Stout Drake and Lucia Cahoon.  I started dabbling a little with Dennis E Austin who would be Illda's dad.  He died when she was quite young and she adored him until the day SHE died. 

In broad strokes, Dennis was born in Michigan to Leman Austin Jr. and his wife Elizabeth.  He eventually went to work for the railroad, and Illda lead me to believe that he was an engineer.  Sometime in the early 20th Century, while still living at home with his folks and two brothers, they moved from Michigan to Texas.  Eventually, he would move back with Minnie and Illda.  I believe he was speculating in building in Houston Heights. 

Before I forget, Leman Jr. and his family lived next door to the James Moore family.  A little girl named Elizabeth was part of that family.  Leman and Elizabeth would end up getting married. 

Dennis died of malarial fever in 1912. 

Here is a letter that he wrote his parents.  It is transcribed by me, exactly as written, although, I have broken it into paragraphs for easier reading:

"Oct 2 1910
My Dearest Parents  I am going to surprise you with a good long letter to pay for the long wait.  I expected to get the money every day + would then write but I was stood off with $236.00 until I began to think I would never get it.  If I did not have help to pay + materials to pay for I could have met this sum almost any time but I had lots of work and then buying the $600 lot at Oak Lawn + Building the cottage got me a little close to the edge.  But I finished it up at last Friday + it is sold for 2075 it cost $1750.00 all complete.  I wanted to make $500 to the good, + will do it again just as soon as I find an idle time, at present I have three jobs contracted for one at $270 + one at 170 and one at 152 which will hold me till Nov 15th.
Well we had  nice shower today + I am going to get busy and get in my winter garden as it makes one feel that way when the Mocking Bird begin to sing in the morning.  We got your pa of seed ok. + Illda enclosed some palm seed which I suppose you had batter wait until spring to plant.
We are all well + strong this fall + everybody is hitting the ball for we begin to see a little farm in Mich now.  It has been quite dry here this summer + of course everyone says this is the worst one yet.  They say the same about the cold weather.  So you can draw your own conclusions.
I have not told you but the lot at San Leon that we bought for the kid in July at 240 we can take 480 for now.  All other property going up same way + as the ship channel is sure things are going up fast (even eating).  I had to buy a pair of $1.00 trousers a couple of weeks ago + it nearly broke my heart.  I am enclosing a p.o. order for $50 + int so make a not for the other 100 + I bet you will get it on time, hoping this reaches you in time to be of use I am with bets love and kisses to you both
Your Dennis
 

No comments:

Post a Comment