Saturday, March 2, 2013

Again with the Dennis Austin

So I'm spending most of the day trying to get myself organized.  Do you know it was a lot easier keeping ones records organized before the advent of computers.

I an gradually getting the family letters transcribed.  I pour over each and every one of them trying to extract any little tidbit of information.  This one mentions "Griff" who I'm pretty sure is a first cousin.  The date is June 21 93 which would have been before Illda was born. 

Just to remind you, I did the transcribing.   I corrected no spellings or punctuations.  I only broke the letter into paragraphs for easier reading.



Toledo June 21st  93

My dear Parents bro + sister

I rec’d the postal asking why I wasn’t well I am ashamed of it but it is work and sleep.  I am afraid two sleep too much, but it is so hot the sleep I get don’t do me very much good.  Still I am just as fat as ever.  I wish you could see my new fishing rig.  It is a beauty.  I shall be over in August to try it.  It hardly seems as if I could wait until then but I suppose I’ll be obliged to.

What nice weather this is.  How are all the crops looking?  I just feel I could lay under an apple tree for about three days without sleep or eating.  Well suppose you all are just as jaded only you have good sleep and 8 or 9 hours at one time.

How did Claud enjoy himself when he was down?  Griff is down this week.  We have some new curtains.  I got Min a nice guitar and next week she will have an organ for a birthday present. 

Well I am getting along quite well for a green horne.  I had a little bad luck last Saturday night.  I was nearly into Marshall.  It was very foggy.  I felt a little jar.  We had run into an extra that had broken tow and that not sending a man back far enough puts all the blame on them.  I was sorry too for it smashed my engine and their caboose very badly.  No one  was hurt.  I was very glad of that.  My head man and eng’r + fireboy all jumped.

I shall not wait before writing again.  I think I shall go to a lake Sunday.

Well I shall close for this time.

Hoping you hear good ______ full of everything coming your way.  I am ever your son and bro

D Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment