Saturday, August 18, 2012

More About Sophia Eagle Drake and Husband, Jehiel Drake

To be honest, for a long time I thought that "Jehiel" was a misprint.  I had never even heard of a name like that before.  And in the 1870 United States Census, our boy is actually listed as James.  But that is the one and only time.  I can say this with certainty, whenever you are searching on Ancestry.com or FamilySearch.org or any time you have an opportunity to look at the actual record -- and not the indexer's transcription of the information -- you gotta do it.  I just finished indexing 1000 words for Family Search.org and, I tell you, it is hard to read many of these records.  Names, dates, birth towns -- when an indexer is looking at it cold, they just have to write down what they think they see.  And we could be wrong.  I still don't think there is any excuse of spelling a name but in that regard -- I indexed 100 men in a row, in Tennessee for the draft, and everyone of those men made their mark.  That means they couldn't write their own name.  I guess that might mean that they might not be able to spell it either.

Anyways, back to the children of Sophia Eagle Drake and Jehiel Drake.  In my last post, I think I mentioned a son, William Drake.  William was born in 1886 in Michigan.  On 12 Feb 1909 he married Denia Dick in Hillsdale, Hillsdale, Michigan.  I think it's important to keep track on the in-laws names.  Many times they show up as names on children in the next generation.  Denia Dick's father was John Dick and he other was Lillie Hubbell.  As of right now, I have a tiny notation on my old family tree that William and Denia had two children, both boys, Richard and John.

No comments:

Post a Comment