Friday, April 4, 2014

Rebecca Trotter Drake

Here are couple of things I found on the Internet regarding Rebecca Trotter.  I've learned that I can take fabulous pictures of my computer screen with my Iphone.  I just can figure out how to get them into a place where I can post them.  So I just email them to myself.

I've learned that when you are researching Middlesex County in New Jersey the same names keep popping up over and over.

Here is some info that I gleaned from The History of Middlesex County, New Jersey by John P Wall:

Stelton Baptist Church was founded in 1689.  The congregation was formed by 6 of the area's earliest European settlers:  John Drake (that's Rebecca Trotter's husband), Edmond Durham, Nicholas Bonham, John Smalley, Hugh Dunn and John Randolph.  These other names are littered through my family tree.  It goes on to say that John Drake, a nephew of Sir Francis Drake, became the first pastor of the congregation and  served in that capacity for 50 years.

Stelton Baptist Church in Edison, New Jersey is the second oldest Baptist Church in New Jersey and the 10 oldest in the United States.  It remained the Stelton Baptist Church until 1875 when it was renamed First Baptist Church of Piscataway.

The first church was erected in 1748.

No comments:

Post a Comment