Monday, June 24, 2013

Dennis E Austin Writes Home Toledo June 21st 93

Dennis E Austin wrote home every once in a while, which says something about a grown ass man living far from his family.  It also says a lot about his family who has saved these letters for over a hundred years.  It's not like he was famous or anything like that, just a well loved son.

Toledo, Jun 21st 93
My Dear Parents Bro& Sister
I rec'd the postal asking where I was at.  Well I am ashamed of it but it is work and sleep.  I am afraid I sleep too much, but it is so hot the sleep I get don't do me much good. Still I am just as fat as ever.  I wish you could see my new fishing rig it is a beauty.  I shall be over in August to Try it.  It hardly seems as if I could wait until then, but I suppose I will be obliged to.
What nice growing weather this is.  How are all the crops looking?  I just feel as if I could lay under an apple tree for about three days with out sleep or eating.  Well suppose you are all just as jaded only you have good sleep and 8 or 9 hours at one time.  How did Claud enjoy himself when he was down.  Griff is down the week.  we have some new curtains.  I got Min a nice guitar.  And next week she will have an organ for her birthday present.  Well I am getting along quite well for a greenhorn.  I had a little bad luck last saturday night.  I was nearly into Marshall it was very Foggy I felt a little jar.  we ran into and Extra that had Broken tow and that not sending a man back far enough puts all the blame on them  I was sorry too for it smashed my engine and their caboose very badly.  no one was hurt I was very glad of that.  My head man and the eng & fireboy all jumped 
I shall not wait so long before writing again, I think I shall go to a lake sunday well I will close for this time Hoping you hear good letters full of everything coming our way I am as ever
Your Son & Bro
D Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment